this is very good writing on the subject of NFTs.
- NFTs are wasteful
- even if they weren’t, the concept of false scarcity for digital art is harmful to digital art and helpful only to the existing art market
- green energy isn’t free energy, it still costs to produce the things to capture green energy
- plus blockchain competes with people, families etc for energy, driving prices up
- carbon offsets are fake
It is, as an artist and an individual, to say “I believe that burning energy makes value.” It says “this is worth it to me.”
- things aren’t their intentions
- when it comes to thinking about systems, you should be thinking about their function not their intended purpose
This is liberalism at its finest- a reformist attitude that thinks if we can just fix the worst problems- remove the bad apples- get some better regulatory structures in place- then the system might just work rather than internalizing that a system based on fundamentally broken, greedy, hyper-capitalist models is one that will always produce harm.